3/29/2006

Lady Wrestlers

Those of you looking for my usual restrained and reasonable political discourse will have to excuse me on this one. Here I must voice my opinion on a personal subject.

I took my young son to a wrestling tournament this weekend. It is really a mildly competetive, club wrestling organization to which he belongs. The tournaments are not bracketed, he gets three matches, and we go home.

So, after two matches, we're standing there waiting for his age group to be called. One of the tournament's organizers walks up to him and says "This girl here wants to wrestle you; there's no one here her weight." My kid, who is not the most assertive in the world, answers: "Uh, ok."

So, five minutes later he's flat on his back, pinned by a girl who has 10-15 lbs on on him, and is at least a year or two older than him. I find out later that her dad is a wrestling coach and she's been doing this since she was 4 years old. The only (minor) consolation to my son is that she beats almost all the boys, which is not hard to believe since women are physically superior to men at this age.

Hey, feminists! Just back off, ok? Can't boys have anything? Girls wrestling? It's bad enough to have to tolerate them in baseball, football, and BOY Scouts, do they really need to wrestle? My son can't even pronounce patriarchal, let alone spell it, and he's never oppressed anyone.

There's no percentage in this for boys. Win, and it's "yeah, you beat a girl." Lose and its indefinite humiliation. And I'll bet you she's nowhere to be found in a year or two when he's matured a bit more and can flat kick...her...ass.

I can't stand liberals sometimes.

5 comments:

a-fire-fly said...

It is a lose lose.
And Boy Scouts is not for girls.

WolfPack said...

Your boy got beat by a girl. Ha ha ha..

WolfPack said...

GeeGuy,

It's no fun if you don't respond to the jabs, but maybe that was your point. Another oddity of your sons situation is that we dads spend a lot of time teaching our sons to respect girls (i.e. don't hit them even if they are asking for it, my son has two sisters and sometimes they deserve it). Every time your kid contemplates slamming her to the mat, I bet he felt guilt and thought about looking to see if you were watching first. You are put in the position, because of PC, of telling your son "kick that girls ass" and after the match you have to tell him she's back on the pedestal. I'm sure your son is sharp enough to get it but I think some boys will just be pushed one step closer to being a future wife beater.

GeeGuy said...

I have to admit that I laughed when I first read your comment, but then I thought maybe you were serious!

ZenPanda said...

As a mother of both male & female wrestlers I will have to say most boys were hesitant to take on my daughter. In her defense I must say the only reason she wrestled was because Dad was coach for her brothers & she wanted to be with them. She grew out of it after 1 season.
I can see where wolfpack has a point- it is a confusing situation for the kids… both boys & girls.