3/30/2007

Mayor Stebbins

I am not sure why Hawkeye would not just post this, rather than hiding it in the comments, but here's what he said to Mayor Stebbins:

Why don't we hear more of your opinions and those of the other commissioners in the news? I can appreciate the need for a hired manager and spokesman but I personally would like a better sense of what the ELECTED officials views are. Just reading the Tribune you would think Great Falls is a monarchy. Your honesty and ability to identify with people from all walks of life is really refreshing and a big asset for this community. I think it is a mistake to let the city manager take such a prominent role in the media. Most of us can handle a city commission decision we disagree with, we just need to be sure that the ELECTED officials are actually the ones deciding!

Hear, hear.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hawkeye, I have a lot of interaction with the various news media, but what they choose to print and broadcast is up to them.
During the course of a week, I answer or return 25-40 phone calls and emails involving everything from traffic problems to neighbors' spats, but none of that makes the news.

Many times, the City Manager is easier to reach than the Commissioners because he has an office and a secretary, which we don't. The other Commissioners and I are frequently busy, speaking to civic groups and just conducting our daily lives.

I encourage anyone with questions to call or email me - I will answer them to the best of my ability and if I don't have an answer, I will find one. My home phone ( which is my work number) is 761.4108 and my email addy is donastebbins@bresnan.net - your call or email WILL be answered.

Anonymous said...

And Hawkeye, we ARE the ones making the decisions, popular or not. Mr Lawton is our EMPLOYEE, and carries out the policies decided upon by the Commissioners.

Anonymous said...

Mayor,

Which commissioner decided it would be a good idea to start a power company?

TRD

Anonymous said...

As you may know, I am not a fan of anonymity. I just posted my phone and email. If you have a question, contact me. Own your words.