3/18/2007

McCoffee


Consumer Reports magazine reported that Starbucks may be the world’s largest coffee shop chain in the world, but what they serve isn’t as good as what McDonald’s brews. McDonald's coffee was “decent and moderately strong. Although it lacked the subtle top notes needed to make it rise and shine, it had no flaws.”

As for Starbucks, the magazine called it “strong, but burnt and bitter enough to make your eyes water instead of open.”

This needed a second post instead of just a comment. I love nearly everything about Starbucks (aroma, merchandise, architecture, business plan, etc) except I can't stand the taste of the coffee. I actually go there just to shop for their great selection of mugs, thermos's, and Christmas CD's. I would rather risk a burn to my non-dominant hand at McDonald's than have to choke down a cup of that Starbuck's Breakfast Blend.

3 comments:

free thought said...

Going to Starbucks to shop? That is just weird. As to the coffee, at least the espresso coffee, there may be hope. When traveling recently, I was forced to choose between hotel lobby coffe or going to the Starbucks next door. I chose Starbucks, and was pleasantly surprised. I mentioned this strange event to Les at Cool Beans (my regular dealer). He explained to me that the new stores have an automated system so that the kids they have working the machine cannot mess it up. It is now idiot proof. And, it resulted in very decent espresso.

Hawkeye said...

The latte, etc is OK as it is masked by all the other crap they put in there.

"just wierd"
Unusual maybe, but in good company.

"Starbuck's merchandise sales, including the CDs, coffee cups and other coffee-related paraphernalia, add up to only 4 percent of its revenues." (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06013/637176.stm)

You may be able to find something nice there for your friend Les.

Hallie said...

Thank you for giving a shout-out to their Christmas CDs.

I too am a big fan of those.