5/28/2005

More Rick Mercier

Below, I talk about a Tribune guest editorial by Rick Mercier. In looking up stuff by the guy, I found this.

There he attacks, pre 9-11, our use of nuclear weapons in Japan at the end of WWII.

Wow.

But what really caught my eye was this passage: "As Japan's experience during World War II and ours in Vietnam make abundantly clear, an unflagging belief in the virtue of political and military leaders can have disastrous consequences for soldiers and civilians alike."

Hello? What a moron. I was only a kid, but I have read much about the late sixties. And I don't remember much about "an unflagging belief in the virtue of political and military leaders." Color me retrospective, but wouldn't it be fair to say that the Vietnam war was the height of distrust of political and military leaders? Rick?

Or doesn't that fit your worldview?

Moron.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another useful idiot.

Anonymous said...

Of course in the late '60s and early '70s there was widespread mistrust of our leaders. But in the late '50s and early '60s, when the generals and pols were laying the groundwork for our disastrous intervention in SE Asia, the public lacked the necessary critical outlook that could have prevented the needless deaths of 58,000 American troops.

Glad I could offer you some historical perspective.

--Rick Mercier