10/22/2007

Local Subject Alert: Service

Dave at GreaterFalls has a post up about service in Great Falls. (He actually cites to this post by Hutch)

I have to disagree with Hutch's premise. I find that service is usually pretty good around town.

I should clarify, though, that I draw some distinctions here. When they screw up my order, that may or may not be a service issue. It's a service issue when, to my chagrin, I encounter a waiter or waitress who refuses to write things down (what is up with that, anyway? Are we supposed to be impressed?). If they do write it down, though, I consider that it is a kitchen issue and don't consider it bad service.

Likewise, when the waitstaff is running around, and the place is clearly disorganized, I don't consider that a service issue, I consider that a management issue.

A service issue, to me, is when the waitperson is rude or unhelpful. I rarely encounter that in Great Falls. I find that, when someone walks up to the table and you smile and make conversation, people are almost universally receptive. Thus defined, I receive very good service in this town.

Management issues, though, can be prevalent. For example, has anyone else stood in a long line at the Pita Pit watching while 3 of the five pita makers are constructing sandwiches for delivery orders, those who couldn't be bothered to come to the restaurant? Is that the fault of the server, or the manager?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

" For example, has anyone else stood in a long line at the Pita Pit watching while 3 of the five pita makers are constructing sandwiches for delivery orders, those who couldn't be bothered to come to the restaurant?"

Same problem at Starbucks.

Its a management problem.

WolfPack said...

...And what's up with the tip jar at the drive up window at Starbucks? Are they expecting 15% for speaker service and making change?

Anonymous said...

It is for a 15% English language service charge. Be glad, parts of the US you need to very work hard to understand the blah blah coming over the speaker.

Anonymous said...

I wish Hastings or Cool Beans had a drive though. I like their coffe so much better. Starbucks coffee has that harsh taste that makes me want to chase it with some Jeremiah Weed.