1/02/2006

Equal Time?

Apparently in an effort to give our Mayor, Dona Stebbins, an opportunity to respond to our FORMER Mayor's editorial page temper tantrum, the Tribune ran this piece in today's Tribune. I will offer just a few thoughts.

First, the article contains the following quote: "'It's too big a city for a manager like John Lawton,' [Mayor Stebbins] said." This quote was clearly taken out of context, or the reporter simply did not understand her. My issue, though, is the fact that the Tribune will print something that so clearly doesn't make sense. Perhaps Mayor Stebbins can clarify?

Second, in the few column inches the Tribune gave her to respond to the Ex-Mayor's tirade, she echoed the sentiments of everyone I have talked to about Gray's piece: "Stebbins criticized Gray for what she called 'the whinings of a losing candidate.' 'He's out of office,' she said. 'He better get used to it.' " Hear hear.

Somebody better call the Wah-mbulance. I think Wah-ndy's having a seizure!

2 comments:

david said...

I'm going to try to attend her swearing-in!

Anonymous said...

Gregg, the quote WAS taken out of context. Another attempt by the Tribune to stir the pot, I'm afraid. I made the comment in the context of Mr. Lawton's extreme focus on the energy deals to the neglect of basic housekeeping issues within the city.
The next time I am in an interview situation with the Tribune, I will be taping it. Rich Ecke's notetaking leaves a great deal to be desired. Maybe HE should tape his interviews in the interests of accuracy...