9/19/2006

Donkeys and Islam

I've often thought to myself that one of the things that differentiates Democrats from Republicans in the "War on Terror" is the level to which both sides acknowledge Islamic terrorists as a threat. Do Republicans overstate the threat in order to 'rule by fear' as I have read on some liberal blogs? Or do Democrats underestimate the threat such that they are 'soft on national security' as one reads?

Thanks to Instapundit, I read this article by author Sam Harris. He says:

We are entering an age of unchecked nuclear proliferation and, it seems likely, nuclear terrorism. There is, therefore, no future in which aspiring martyrs will make good neighbors for us. Unless liberals realize that there are tens of millions of people in the Muslim world who are far scarier than Dick Cheney, they will be unable to protect civilization from its genuine enemies.

By the way, the author is a liberal.

You should read the whole thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you like that quote, I strongly recommend Harris' book, "The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason". It's an extremely important book, in my opinion, but theists will find it cuts both ways. Harris also recently published "Letter to a Christian Nation" that is on it's way to me in the mail.

GeeGuy, I really hope you read "The End of Faith."

Rocky Smith said...

Interesting that liberals find Cheney to be a bigger threat to them than Islamic terrorists. Party before country anyone?