3/14/2007

Compassion, or Exploitation?

When three Mercy Flight crew members died, the community no doubt suffered a loss. Even so, I have expressed puzzlement over the degree to which the story has been covered. Now, the Tribune reports about ongoing fundraisers. My puzzlement has shifted to cynicism.

I applaud helping folks in need, like these families who lost loved ones in the plane wreck. But, scrapbook making? A jewelry party? Really? Is that really for the families of the deceased? What part is being called the "profit" to go to charity? And whatever money is raised, how is it helping the families? The article says that the families choose accounts. Is that their own checking accounts? Another charity?

And even if every penny helps those families (which is great for them), I have trouble understanding the mentality. The folks who died did so while doing what they were paid to do. They were not volunteers, good Samaritans taking a risk as a good will gesture. There is nothing wrong with feeling bad, donating money, or helping the survivors. I just do not see why it is those three families being chosen to be helped, rather than any number of other sympathetic victims of circumstance in the news every day.

The most obvious answer? The fundraisers are banking on the publicity of the event. I do not know that. I know I am a cynic. But it makes sense.

1 comment:

ZenPanda said...

I agree with this post 100%. I grieve for the families but is continued coverage necessary?

Let the families move on in their own way. I think it is continuing the pain not helping.