9/12/2007

Warrants

I received two warrants (checks) from the State of Montana recently.

The first was a refund of a fee I paid so my son could unsuccessfully enter a drawing for an antelope permit. In the Memo section it said: "DRAWING REFUND." That's all, plain and simple.

The second was my $400.00 property tax refund. The Memo section said: "GOVERNOR SCHWEITZER AND THE 2007 LEGISLATURE ARE PLEASED TO SEND YOU THIS PROPERTY TAX REFUND. IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS REFUND PLEASE CALL THE DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE TOLL FREE AT 866-859-2254."

Uh, Governor Schweitzer, I'm glad that you're so pleased with yourself for giving me this $400.00, but let's remember where it came from in the first place. I used my time and my money to earn it and you and your predecessors and the 2007 legislature and it's predecessors took it from me. In fact, you took a lot more than you really needed. This is just a small little piece of what you took.

So, while I am glad to get some of my money back, please don't pat yourself on the back for keeping the other 90%.

This sort of thing demonstrates to me the problem with a redistributionist approach to government. Once all of the money is taken from us lowly workers, then some other small group of people gets to decide what is done with it. Oh sure, if you're part of the small group at the top, it's heady, fun stuff. But for the rest of us, it seems more like you have just taken the fruits of my labor and handed it to others based on your priorities. That's not so fun.

Oh, and by the way, I am not criticizing this action on a partisan basis. I have no difficulty envisioning a GOP governor taking credit for a tax refund on his or her watch.

UPDATE: Here's more on the refund.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of taking and spending tax dollars.... here's something to add to the national problem of bipartisanship in redistributing wealth (I too can be a bipartisan critic).

September 10, 2007
The Subprime Mortgage Crunch: Providing Tax Relief for Ex-Homeowners

by JD Foster, Ph.D.
WebMemo #1603
On August 31, President Bush offered a small package of initiatives to address developments in the housing and mortgage markets. One element of the package was a proposal to provide special and temporary tax relief to those who lose their homes during the current period. The Administration's tax proposal, while well intentioned, is nevertheless misguided and all the more unfortunate because the Administration missed an opportunity to provide tax relief through sound tax reform.

Anonymous said...

We have a generation that relates to take home pay with no understanding of their gross pay. They get excited because "Yippee I didn't pay any income tax this year, I got $1200 back!" Or, "I only had to pay $300 this year!"

I'm sure a high percentage of citizens will view this "refund" as a gift from their keepers and jump with joy over their windfall.

What politicians do is no surprise to me, its their nature. They know full well this mentality prevails. I'm still perplexed at how many citizens are so gullible and will happily settle for the table scraps while paying the full meal bill.

I want my overage all back, with interest!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant... and hilarious.

free thought said...

You are, of course, right. But most people think of it as free money. In reality, the State's action is kinda like the hold-up guy taking your wallet and wedding ring, but letting you keep your pack of gum. I guess we are supposed to be thankful for that.