11/19/2005

Iraq War

There is no question that there are legitimate questions to be raised about the advisability of invading Iraq in order to remove a murderous dictator from power. But those questions needed to be raised before the invasion, not during the subsequent war. Or, as a friend of mine says, if you supported the war then, you don't get to change your mind now with 150,000 U.S. kids over there.

Conversely, if you have been against the war the entire time, more power to you. You and I have something to discuss other than rank, partisan maneuvering. I respect your beliefs and, while I might disagree with them, I will again acknowledge their legitimacy.

So this latest uproar over the war seems to me to be a bit of contrived politics. The Democrat sharks smell blood in the water in the wreckage of the sinking ship of Bush's poll numbers, and they are on the attack. In the words of Vice President Cheney, the lefties who recently 'got religion' on the war are, truly, reprehensible.

So, with all that in mind, I found this piece. I think it is a pretty good outline of the hypocrisy issue, albeit from a conservative point of view.

No comments: